Need a Tutor? 

JWU provides a variety of tutorial assistance programs.

Take the initiative in seeking out-of-class help during faculty office hours, and through the Center for Academic Support tutoring services.

There is no extra fee for these services; this additional support is included in your tuition.


Peer & Professional Tutoring

Peer and professional tutoring is available in math, science, accounting, writing skills, most major courses and study strategies, with individual and group sessions as needs and resources dictate.


Online Professional Tutoring

Need help outside of CAS Tutoring support times? We offer 24/7 online professional tutoring through Smarthinking. Smarthinking may be accessed through links in jwuLink and uLearn.


Study Skills Workshops

Looking to improve your writing, studying and test-taking skills? Each term, we offer a series of skills workshops to help students in all majors, at various times and in multiple locations. Topics include:

  • Time Management
  • Note-Taking Strategies
  • Overcoming Math Anxiety
  • Reading for Good Grades
  • Memory and Test-taking Tips
  • Essay and Research Paper Writing
  • Becoming an Active Listener
  • Creating Visual Study Tools
  • Stress Management

Contact us for the latest workshop schedule.

Resources for Colleges


Business, Hospitality, Technology and Arts & Sciences Students

Take advantage of our academic assistance in courses, tutoring in first-year courses and most upper level courses and writing laboratories for undergraduate students, including tutoring for all types of written projects, study-skills remediation and help in researching and designing papers.

Physician Assistant Students

Tutorial services by professional and peer tutors are individualized in the areas of writing, anatomy and physiology. Workshops in stress management, time management, test-taking strategies and other learning strategies are regularly conducted.

Culinary/Baking & Pastry Arts Students 

Take advantage of our individualized and small group tutoring in culinary and pastry laboratory and academic classes, as well as in English and study skills.


JWU is dedicated to providing reasonable accommodations to give students with learning disabilities, physical challenges, and chronic medical conditions the opportunity to succeed in their academic pursuits.

While maintaining the highest academic integrity, the university strives to balance academic rigor with support services that help students with disabilities function in a higher learning environment.

Click Here for a map of our Harborside Campus accessible routes and building entrances.

Housing Accommodations 

If you need a particular type of on-campus housing accommodation, you must submit documentation to the Center for Academic Support (CAS) before a request can be considered.

CAS will then work with Residential Life to evaluate the request to ensure that reasonable accommodations are provided.

Email Nicole Hebert, LICSW, Director, Center for Academic Support, if you are requesting housing accommodations or anticipate the need for additional help in an emergency:



About Accommodations

At the Providence Campus, accommodations for students with disabilities (who provide appropriate documentation) include, but are not limited to: 

  • Audio recorders in class
  • Classroom relocation
  • Dragon Naturally Speaking
  • Enlarged print
  • Use of a Kurzweil 3000
  • Medically-excused absences
  • Note taking assistance 
  • Oral and/or extended time for tests
  • Preferential scheduling
  • Reduced course load

If you are a JWU applicant or current student with special needs/physical disabilities, call Nicole Hebert, Director, Center for Academic Support (CAS), at 401-598-4689 to begin discussing how CAS will work with you.

Some programs of study at the university have technical standards and requirement. Copies of the technical standards applicable to various programs are available at the Center for Academic Support.

During the Accommodation Process

You will be expected to:

  • Participate in the determination and implementation of reasonable accommodations and support services 
  • Inform your CAS Advisor when accommodations are not working or need to be changed
  • Meet with his/her CAS Advisor at the beginning of every term to complete the Accommodations Agreement, so that accommodations can be put in place for the term
  • Keep follow-up appointments or call to cancel and reschedule in a timely manner

Your academic support advisor will be expected to:

  • Maintain medical/psychological/educational documentation in a confidential manner
  • Determine if the condition(s) is a disability in accordance with the law
  • Identify reasonable accommodations and support services and assist with their implementation 
  • Request updated documentation (as needed) to determine if accommodations need to be modified 
  • Refer student to campus/community services (i.e., CAS Tutoring, Student Counseling Center, etc.) to resolve disability-related issues


If you are requesting services, you may be asked to provide the following documentation so the disability can be verified and to aid in educational planning:

  • Diagnostic report by a psychiatrist, neurologist or other physician, OR
  • Psycho-educational evaluation by a licensed clinician



New students will be expected to attend an orientation and workshop the day before classes begin (time and place will be sent to each student through the mail).

At this workshop, a description of the services provided will be discussed as well as suggestions on how to effectively use the services on campus.

Students will make their first appointment with an advisor at that time.

Study Skills Workshops

Offered each term, our  workshops are open to students in all majors. Topics include:

  • Time Management
  • Notetaking Strategies
  • Overcoming Math Anxiety
  • Reading for Good Grades
  • Memory and Test taking Tips
  • Essay and Research Paper Writing
  • Becoming an Active Listener
  • Creating Visual Study Tools
  • Stress Management

Workshops are offered at various time in various locations. Contact the Center for Academic Support for a current schedule.

Individualized Testing Policy 

Students with disabilities may receive test accommodations determined on an individual basis, and are responsible for informing instructors each time they plan on utilizing these accommodations (as verified by the Academic Support Advisor) by:

  • Going to the Learning Center as soon as a test is announced to fill out an Individual Test Request Form and schedule the test to be taken in the Learning Center;
  • Giving the top copy of this form to the instructor at least one week prior to the test;
  • Going to the Learning Center, instead of class, at the time of the test.

Note-taking Assistance Procedure 

Students whose documentation warrants note-taking assistance must sign the accommodation agreement at the beginning of each term and meet with the instructor to determine how notes will be obtained.

  • The instructor may identify a suitable peer note-taker, and it is the student’s responsibility to make arrangements with the instructor to obtain notes. 
  • Carbonless note paper is available through the academic support advisor at no charge. 
  • The instructor may provide the student with a copy of his/her notes, which are for the student’s private study only and must be returned to the instructor at the end of the term/class. 
  • The instructor may advise the student to use the copy of his/her notes in the Center for Academic Support.

Service Animal Procedure 

The Academic Support Advisor will determine the appropriateness of a service animal based on whether a student has a disability and the role of the service animal. To request the presence of a service animal, the student must meet with an Academic Support Advisor.

Alternate Format Procedure 

Students who require alternate access to printed material may receive textbooks in alternate format (as determined by the Academic Support Advisor). Students are responsible for:

  • Purchasing all books.
  • Requesting electronic text (e-text) by contacting resources such as Learning Ally (formally RFB&D), AccessText, and Bookshare to determine its availability.
  • If the book is not available from the publisher,students are responsible for forwarding relevant textbook information to his/her Academic Support Advisor, including the following information: Title, Author(s), Publisher, Edition and ISBN.

The Academic Support Advisor is then responsible for contacting the publisher for the book’s availability and/or to obtain permission to scan it.

Grievance Procedure 

Any student with a complaint or grievance about an accommodation decision should submit a written request for review of the decision to the Title IX Coordinator (who also serves as the university’s nondiscrimination coordinator and Section 504 coordinator), Matthias Rubekeil, 8 Abbott Park Place, Providence, RI, 02903, 401-598-2703. 

Classroom Relocation Policy 

Students with limited mobility and/or physical challenges are assisted by having their classrooms moved to an accessible location. Students needing such an accommodation should participate in the priority scheduling process so that accessible classrooms can be arranged. It is the Student’s Responsibility to:

  • Provide documentation to verify his/her disability and validate his/her request for relocation of classrooms with the Center for Academic Support.
  • Participate in priority scheduling.
  • Review the class schedule to determine which classes need to be relocated with his/her Academic Support Advisor.
  • Immediately inform the Academic Support Advisor of any changes in class schedule or problems with classroom accessibility.

Academic Support Advisor Responsibilities: The Academic Support Advisor will present student's need for relocation of classroom to Student Academic Services, and the respective department will relocate the class to an accessible location.

Documentation and Guidelines 

Students requesting services must provide the Center for Academic Support with the required disability documentation. Contact the Center for Academic Support or email