Peer & Professional Tutoring

Peer and professional tutoring is available in math, science, accounting, writing, most major courses, and study and testing strategies, with either individual or group sessions.

Online Professional Tutoring

If students need help in addition to the CAS tutoring hours, JWU offers 24/7 online professional tutoring through Smart Thinking. Smart Thinking may be accessed through links in JWULink and uLearn.

Tutor with student

Study Skills Workshops

Looking to improve your writing, studying, and test-taking skills?

Each term, we offer a series of skills workshops to help students in all majors, at various times, and in multiple locations.

Topics include:

  • Learning Styles

  • Time Management

  • Note-taking Strategies

  • Study Strategies

  • Test Preparation

  • Test Taking Strategies

  • Textbook Reading Strategies

  • Overcoming Math Anxiety

We also offer this material in individual study sessions. Contact Dr. Tenecia Bradley-Cousins for the latest workshop schedule or to schedule an appointment.

Academic Support & Skill Development

Students can make individual appointments with our Academic Support Advisor for counseling regarding study skills and strategies for academic success. If you need help with course selection and planning, meet with academic counselors in Student Academic & Financial Services for more technical assistance with registration.

Online Study Skills

Use these excellent Study Skills Strategies if you want to improve your study skills.  

JWU is dedicated to providing reasonable accommodations to give students with learning disabilities, physical disabilities, and chronic medical conditions the opportunity to succeed in their academic pursuits. 

While maintaining the highest academic integrity, the university strives to balance academic rigor with support services that help students with disabilities function in a higher learning environment.

Housing Accommodations 

If you need a particular type of on-campus housing accommodation, you must submit appropriate documentation to the Center for Academic Support before a request can be considered.

The Center will then work with Residential Life to evaluate the request and ensure that reasonable accommodations are provided.

Email Dr. Tenecia Bradley-Cousins if you are requesting housing accommodations or anticipate the need for additional help in an extenuating circumstance.


Accommodations for students with disabilities who provide appropriate documentation include, but are not limited to:

  • Oral and/or extended time for tests

  • Enlarged print

  • Use of a tape recorder in class

  • Note-taking assistance

  • Reduced course load

  • Preferential scheduling

  • Classroom relocation

  • Medical absences

  • Use of assistive technology (i.e. Dragon Naturally Speaking, Roger Pen)

If you are a JWU applicant or current student with physical disabilities, contact Dr. Tenecia Bradley-Cousins to begin discussing how CAS can assist you.

Some programs of study at the university have technical standards and requirement. Copies of the technical standards applicable to various programs are also available at the Center for Academic Support.


Submit Documents 

Students requesting accommodations should:

  1. Submit your disability documentation to the Center for Academic Support.

  2. Make an appointment with the Academic Support Advisor.

  3. Meet with the Academic Support Advisor to review your documentation, discuss the policies, and determine reasonable accommodations.

Email Dr. Tenecia Bradley-Cousins for additional information.


You will be expected to:

  • Participate in the determination and implementation of reasonable accommodations and support services

  • Meet with your Academic Support Advisor to complete and sign your individualized Accommodations Agreement

  • Inform your Academic Support Advisor when accommodations are not working or need to be changed

  • Keep follow-up appointments or call to cancel and reschedule in a timely manner


The Academic Support Advisor will be expected to:

  • Maintain medical/psychological/educational documentation in a confidential manner

  • Identify reasonable accommodations and support services and assist with their implementation

  • Request updated documentation (as needed) to determine if accommodations need to be modified

Individualized Testing Policy 

Students with disabilities may receive test accommodations determined on an individual basis; they are responsible for informing instructors each time they plan on utilizing these accommodations as verified by the Academic Support Advisor as follows:

  • Providing instructors with an Individual Test Request Form as soon as a test is announced

  • Scheduling the test to be taken in Room 502 and ensuring that instructors receive form at least two days prior to the test

  • Reporting to the Center instead of class, as applicable

Note-taking Assistance Procedure 

Students whose documentation warrants note-taking assistance must sign the Accommodation Agreement at the beginning of each academic year and meet with instructors to determine how notes will be obtained.

  • Instructors may identify a suitable peer note-taker, and it is the student’s responsibility to make arrangements with them to obtain notes.

  • Instructors may provide the student with copies of his/her notes, which are for the student’s private study only and must be returned to the instructor at the end of the term or class.

  • Instructors may advise the student to access his/her notes in the Center for Academic Support.

Service Animal Procedure 

The Academic Support Advisor will determine the appropriateness of a service animal based on whether a student has a documented disability and the role of the service animal. To request the presence of a service animal, the student must meet with the Academic Support Advisor.

Alternate Format Procedure 

Students who require alternate access to printed material may receive textbooks in alternate format as determined by the Academic Support Advisor. Students are responsible for:

  • Purchasing all books

  • Requesting electronic text (e-text) by contacting the Academic Support Advisor

  • Forwarding relevant textbook information to the Academic Support Advisor, including the title, author(s), publisher, edition and ISBN, if the book is not available from the publisher

The Academic Support Advisor is then responsible for contacting the publisher for the book’s availability and/or to obtain permission to scan it.

Grievance Procedure 

Any student with a complaint or grievance about an accommodation decision should submit a written request for review of the decision to the Title IX Coordinator (who also serves as the university’s nondiscrimination coordinator and Section 504 coordinator), Matthias Rubekeil, 8 Abbott Park Place, Providence, RI, 02903, 401-598-2703. 

Classroom Relocation Policy 

Students with limited mobility and/or physical disabilities are assisted by having their classrooms moved to an accessible location. Students needing such an accommodation should participate in the priority scheduling process so that accessible classrooms can be arranged. It is the student’s responsibility to:

  • Provide documentation to verify his/her disability and validate his/her request for relocation of classrooms with the Center for Academic Support.

  • Participate in priority scheduling

  • Review the class schedule to determine which classes need to be relocated with his/her Academic Support Advisor

  • Immediately inform the Academic Support Advisor of any changes in class schedule or problems with classroom accessibility

The Academic Support Advisor will present students’ needs for relocation of classroom to Student Academic Services, and the respective department(s) will relocate the class(es) to accessible location(s).

Documentation and Guidelines 

Students requesting services must provide the Center for Academic Support with the required disability documentation. Contact the Center for Academic Support at 305-892-7026 or email Dr. Tenecia Bradley-Cousins